- The CDC in 2016 estimates that the prevalence of autism in the United States is around 1 in 68 births. Autism is the fastest-growing developmental disability.
- More than 3.5 million Americans live with an autism spectrum disorder. (Buescher et al., 2014)
- Autism services cost U.S. citizens $236-262 billion annually. (Buescher et al., 2014)
- A majority of costs in the U.S. are in adult services – $175-196 billion, compared to $61-66 billion for children.
- Cost of lifelong care can be reduced by 2/3 with early diagnosis and intervention.
- 35 percent of young adults (ages 19-23) with autism have not had a job nor received postgraduate education after leaving high school.
This will be a multi-part series to help shed light on autism, as we celebrate people with autism in April and everyday.